Cat litter boxes are an essential item for any cat owner.
However, an uncovered litter box can be an eyesore and can also create unpleasant odors in the house.
This is where covered litter boxes come in.
Covered litter boxes provide a private space for cats to do their business and also help contain the litter and odor.
These litter boxes not only provide privacy for your cat but also help keep your home clean and odor-free.
Table of Contents
Best Covered Litter Boxes
Below is our full list of the best covered litter boxes for cat owners who want to keep their homes clean and odor-free.
1. Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan – Best Choice for Most People
If you’re looking for a large, covered litter box that provides privacy for your cat and helps control odors, the Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan is a great option.
The Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan is a great option for multi-cat households or for cats who prefer more privacy.
The large hood lifts up for easy cleaning, and the built-in bag anchor helps keep the bag open and frees hands for scooping.
The carbon-impregnated filter effectively traps and removes litter box odors, but needs to be replaced regularly for optimal odor control.
The door opening may be too small for larger cats, and the larger size may not fit in smaller spaces.
- Provides privacy while retaining litter inside
- Large hood lifts up for easy access cleaning
- Built-in bag anchor helps keep bag open and frees hands for scooping
- May not fit in smaller spaces due to its larger size
- Carbon filter needs to be replaced regularly for optimal odor control
- Door opening may be too small for larger cats
2. IRIS USA Jumbo Enclosed Cat Litter Box – Runner Up
If you’re looking for a spacious and private solution to your cat’s bathroom needs, the IRIS USA Jumbo Enclosed Cat Litter Box is a great option.
With its enclosed design, it helps to keep unpleasant odors contained and makes for a stress-free environment for everyone.
The IRIS USA Jumbo Enclosed Cat Litter Box is a great choice for cat owners who want a tidy, organized, and stress-free litter box experience.
With its spacious dimensions and enclosed design, it’s sure to keep both you and your furry friend happy.
- The enclosed design ensures privacy for your cat and keeps litter spillage and spraying contained within the tall walls of the box.
- The door flap catches any lingering litter particles on your cat’s paws and keeps them from spilling out onto the floor, making clean-up a breeze.
- The included scoop features a hook, allowing you to hang it on the underside of the hood to store it between cleanings and have it within reach whenever it’s needed.
- The lid can be difficult to snap on and off.
- The box is made of plastic, so expect to replace it eventually.
- The scoop is relatively small, so you may need to purchase a larger one separately.
3. Petphabet Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Box – Best See-Through Covered Litter Box
If you’re looking for a spacious litter box that can accommodate multiple cats, the Petphabet Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Box is a great option.
The Petphabet Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Box is a roomy and rounded litter box that can hold up to two small cats at once. Its high back and lid help to prevent litter spillover, while the removable top cover makes cleaning a breeze.
However, its large size may not be suitable for smaller living spaces, and the rounded edges may make it challenging to clean thoroughly.
Overall, if you have multiple cats and are looking for a spacious, covered litter box, the Petphabet Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Box is a solid choice.
- Ample space for multiple cats to use simultaneously
- Removable top cover for easy cleaning
- High back and lid to reduce spillover
- Large size may not fit in smaller living spaces
- Some users reported difficulty with cleaning due to the rounded edges
- May not be suitable for cats who prefer uncovered litter boxes
4. Van Ness Pets Odor Control Large Enclosed Cat Litter Box – Best Budget Option
If you’re looking for a litter box that is easy to clean and helps control odors, the Van Ness Covered Cat Litter Box is a great option.
With its enclosed hood and swinging door, it keeps litter scatter and urine spray contained, while the high polished finish makes cleaning a breeze.
The Van Ness Covered Cat Litter Box is made in the USA from BPA-free plastic, and measures 19.5 x 15.25 x 17 inches when assembled.
It’s a great option for cat owners who want to keep their home clean and odor-free.
- The enclosed hood with two-way swinging door helps prevent litter scatter outside of the box and contains urine spray inside.
- The high polished, non-stick finish is easy to clean and resistant to stains and odors.
- The included replaceable zeolite air filter helps absorb and reduce litter odors.
- Some users have reported that the box is too small for larger cats.
- The adhesive residue from the sticker on the entrance flap can be difficult to remove.
- Some users have reported that the door can be difficult to remove for cleaning purposes.
5. Petmate Booda Clean Step Cat Litter Box Dome – Best for Cats Privacy
If you’re looking for a covered litter box that keeps litter scatter contained and unwanted odors at bay, the Petmate Booda Dome Cleanstep Cat Litter Box is worth considering.
With its unique design and built-in litter mat stairs, it’s a great option for households with multiple cats or larger cat breeds.
The Petmate Booda Dome Cleanstep Cat Litter Box is a great choice for pet owners who want to keep litter scatter contained and unwanted odors at bay.
Its unique design and built-in litter mat stairs make it easy to clean, while the dome lid ensures privacy for your feline friends. However, the handle may break over time, and the lid doesn’t clip on, so it may fall off if bumped into.
Additionally, the opening may be too high for smaller or older cats to comfortably access. Overall, this litter box is a solid choice for those looking for a covered litter box that looks great and works well.
- The charcoal filter traps unwanted smells, making it ideal for multicat homes.
- The built-in litter mat stairs dislodges litter from paws for cleaner floors.
- The dome lid encloses cats on all sides, ensuring privacy while keeping floors litter-less.
- The handle is not very sturdy and may break over time.
- The lid doesn’t clip on, so it may fall off if bumped into.
- The opening may be too high for smaller or older cats to comfortably access.
Buying Guide for Choosing the Best Covered Litter Box
Choosing the right covered litter box for your cat can be a daunting task. Here are some factors to consider when making your decision:
Make sure the litter box is the right size for your cat. The box should be large enough for your cat to move around in comfortably and deep enough to contain the litter. A litter box that is too small can cause your cat to avoid using it.
The cover of the litter box should be easy to remove for cleaning and provide enough ventilation to prevent odors from building up. A good cover will also prevent litter from scattering outside the box.
The entry of the litter box should be low enough for your cat to easily enter and exit. Some litter boxes have a swinging door that can be removed if your cat is hesitant to use it.
The material of the litter box should be durable and easy to clean. Plastic is a common material for litter boxes, but some are made from other materials such as wood or metal.
Look for litter boxes that have features to control odors such as carbon filters or self-cleaning mechanisms. A litter box with good odor control will help keep your home smelling fresh.
Consider your budget when choosing a litter box. While some high-end models may have more features, a basic litter box can still be effective and affordable.
|Large enough for cat to move around in comfortably and deep enough to contain litter
|Easy to remove for cleaning, provides ventilation, prevents litter from scattering
|Low enough for cat to easily enter and exit, may have removable door
|Durable and easy to clean, may be plastic, wood, or metal
|Carbon filters, self-cleaning mechanisms, or other features to control odors
|Consider budget when choosing a litter box
These were the best covered litter boxes I found after extensive research.
To recap, my top pick is the Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan. This covered litter box is ideal for large cat or households with multiple cats.
It also has a door that folds right open, making it easier to scoop out waste when you need to.