In this article, I’m comparing the BEST non clumping cat litter on odor control, ease of use, price, and more.
Overall, my top pick is Feline Pine Platinum, because it’s cheap and uses baking powder to eliminate smells.
I’ll also cover:
- The importance of absorbability
- Advantages of using non-clumping litter
- Plus, a detailed buyers guide
Let’s dive in.
Table of Contents
1. Feline Pine Platinum Non-Clumping Cat Litter – Best Non Clumping Litter Overall
This is my top pick for non-clumping cat litter because it ticks all the right boxes. It’s pine pellets absorbs urine fast, uses baking soda to remove odors, and is reasonably priced.
When your cat uses this litter, the pine pellets will absorb urine quickly and will crumble into sawdust.
This makes it super easy to maintain and clean out.
Additionally, there are no added fragrances, which some cats hate, and only the natural scent of wood pellets and baking soda, which helps mask bad smells.
Pine pellets are also eco friendly, because no new trees are cut down to make this type of litter. They are made from reclaimed pine lumber.
Lastly, Feline Pine has very minimal dust, which means less tracking around the house and safer on yours and your cats lungs.
This bag of non-clumping litter is 18 pounds in weight and if used correctly, can last up to a month for 1-2 cats.
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS, NO ADDED FRAGRANCE—this non-clumping cat litter is an effective odor eliminator that’s made simple with plant-based ingredients like natural pine shavings, plus the absorbent power of ARM & HAMMER Baking Soda.
- BEST NATURAL ODOR CONTROL WITH NO ADDED FRAGRANCES + BAKING SODA. Naturally keep your kitty litter box fresh with natural pine fibers that lock away ammonia odors and neutralize odors on contact. Eliminate the toughest odors with plant-based ingredients instead of harsh chemicals or synthetic perfumes. Get an extra boost of absorbent, odor-fighting freshness from the natural odor-neutralizing power of Baking Soda.
- HIGHLY ABSORBENT PINE LOCKS AWAY ODORS. The pine shavings in this lightweight non-clumping cat litter directly bind to odors like thousands of tiny sponges to soak up liquid and lock away ammonia odors to keep the litter box fresh and dry.
- LIGHTWEIGHT so changing and refilling the cat litter box is fast and easy. That’s because this absorbent non-clumping kitty litter is natural and less than half the weight of clay litter and leaves no messy cloud of dust.
- A NATURAL CAT LITTER CHOICE. No new trees are cut down to make the pine shavings in Feline Pine Platinum Natural Pine Non-Clumping Litter. This cat litter comes from kiln dried shavings reclaimed from lumber production, so it’s a kitty litter that respects our precious natural resources.
2. Purina Tidy Cats Non Clumping Cat Litter – Most Affordable Non-Clumping Litter
Purina Tidy Cats Non Clumping Litter is one of the cheapest cat litters you can buy and the most afforable non-clumping litter on this list.
This is an unscented non clumping clay cat litter, which is highly effective at absorbing urine and masking bad odors.
For the low price, it does a good job of minimizing tracking and causes minimal dust, although some clay litters are more prone to dust than others.
Purina Tidy Cats Instant Action Litter is designed for a multiple-cat household. This means that if you have more than one cat, they won’t mind sharing the same litter.
Still it’s important to use the right amount of litter and have the right amount of litter boxes.
This product is 4 x 10 lb. bags, so a total of 40 pounds of non-clumping litter. This will last you a long time depending on your change and clean frequency.
- If you loved this Tidy... try searching code B001411SK0 or B083QPH4VT for more great options!
- Non-clumping for easy litter box maintenance. Formulated for multiple-cat households
- Moisture-activated odor control system. Neutralizes ammonia odor
- Fast-acting formula traps odors right away. 99.6 percent dust-free
- Proudly made in the USA. Strong bag helps minimize litter spills and messes
3. PetSafe ScoopFree Crystal Non-Clumping Cat Litter – Best Crystal Non Clumping Litter
PetSafe Crystal Cat Litter is one of the best types of litter at absorbing urine and poop, which helps eliminate strong odors.
Some people prefer to use clumping cat litter crystals instead of non-clumping, but this comes down to personal preference.
Another advantage of using silica cat litter is how long it lasts. That’s because it uses less litter to absorb your cats waste, which saves on the amount you need to throw away.
PetSafe Crystal Cat Litter is very easy to use and takes minimal effort to maintain. There’s very little dust and tracking is very low.
This product is 2 x 4.3 Lbs. bags, a total of 8.6 Lbs. It doesn’t seem a lot, but less is more with crystal type litter and should last you around 4 – 6 weeks.
- REMOVES ODORS QUICKLY: Crystal litter absorbs urine and dries solid waste to quickly remove odors 5 times faster than clumping clay litter
- LONG-LASTING: Just 1 bag can last up to 30 days in a single-cat household—that means less time cleaning the litter box so you have more moments to snuggle with your cat
- LESS MESS: Crystal litter is low tracking and 99% dust-free—designed for all the days you don’t want to sweep the laundry room floor (again)
- CONVENIENT SIZE: Includes 2 pre-portioned bags of crystal litter scented with soothing lavender and ready for use (each bag weighs 4.3 lb)
- COMPATIBLE LITTER BOXES: This litter can be used with any brand litter box or reusable tray, but we recommend using it to refill the PetSafe Deluxe Crystal Litter Box (but we might be partial)
4. Naturally Fresh Non-Clumping Pellet Cat Litter – Made From Walnut Shell
Naturally Fresh non clumping litter is made out of walnut shell and into pellets. The unique material has been shown to control ammonia-causing odors up to 7x more than other non-clumping litters.
This is one of the best non clumping cat litter for kittens, because it is gentle on sensitive paws and very lightweight.
It’s completely natuaral material means there are no harsh chemicals or toxins that can harm you or your pet.
Moreover, it’s completely safe for other small pets, like puppies, hamsters, ferrets, and rabbits.
Naturally Fresh is advertised as low-tracking and virtually dust free, which is great if you want to try a different litter to prevent tracking around the home.
This litter is available in bags of 10 lbs and 26 lbs and can last between 1 – 3 months, depending on the size you buy.
- For Cat and Kitty Litter Box - Eco-Shell Naturally Fresh Cat Litter is made from all-natural walnut shells, and this eco-friendly litter neutralizes odors better than clay, pine, corn, and wheat litters.
- Odor Control For Cat Litter Box - This super-absorbent formula produces hard clumps in as few as 15 minutes without sticking to the litter box and provides proven superior ammonia odor control.
- Kitty Litter - Eco-Shell Naturally Fresh Cat Litter is virtually dust-free. Thus, you and your cat can breathe easier in your home, and makes this litter safer for pets or owners with respiratory problems.
- Biodegradable And Sustainable - This cat litter is made from walnut shells that are all-natural, non-GMO, made from a food byproduct, and produced in solar-run facilities.
- Cat Litter -A low-tracking material means your cat won't track litter and bacteria through your home.
Non-Clumping Cat Litter to Avoid?
The non-clumping cat litter with the most problems is a clay type that also has an added scent.
Generally, they aren’t great at eliminating odors and many cats do not like perfumes in their litter, as the smell cat put them of from using it.
Why Pick a Non-Clumping Litter?
There are many reasons why cat owners decide to have a non-clumping versus a clumping type of litter. I have listed those reasons below, and I hope that you find them useful.
Almost every shelter for cats will use a non-clumping litter. Most shelters do not like using clumping litters for a variety of reasons. The main reasons are that there is a risk of clumping litters causing blockages in vulnerable kittens and cats.
The reasons for this are complex, but shelters simply don’t take risks with cats placed in their care. If you would like to find out more about the potential risks with clumping cat litter, then please click here for more information.
Clumping litters are designed to stick and clump together. Now while that is handy to remove clumps from a litter, it also makes them pretty hard to remove from a floor. That is especially true for a floor, such as a bathroom floor that may be wet.
Non clumping litters are better for that, especially if you have cats who are messy with their litter.
A lot of non-clumping buyers say that these are better for drying out cat poop than any other type of litters. That is debatable but the general consensus is that cat poop should be removed every day to help keep odors under control. Some cat poop may be wet, but a litter does help dry that out, and overall non-clumping litters will do that slightly faster.
Little or No Tracking
I have yet to find a litter that does not track a little. Non clumping ones though do tend to track less than others. Again this does vary quite a bit depending on the brand. As a general rule though non-clumping litters are better at keeping tracking to an absolute minimum.
Many litters are quite heavy, and when a litter box is filled with a couple of inches of litter, they can be heavy and cumbersome to lift or move about. This type of non-clumping litter is usually lighter than the clumping types. That is because clumping litters tend to absorb more urine, and as such will weigh heavier.
When clay cat litters were first made they were of the non-clumping variety. They were a big improvement on using sand or ashes, as these clays were very good at absorbing moisture.
Many of these also contain either baking soda, or some type of charcoal, both of which do a really good job of absorbing strong smells.
Disadvantages of Non Clumping Litter
I also like to include the disadvantages of using non-clumping litters. There are no cat litters which are simply perfect so it is good to know the pros and cons of all types. Underneath I have listed the drawbacks of using non-clumping litters.
Frequent Cleaning and Difficult to Clean
The biggest problem with non-clumping clay litters is that when the litter becomes saturated with cat urine, it will start to make pools at the bottom of the litter box. That makes the removal of just soiled clay a very difficult thing to do.
More often than not, it is simply easier to fully replace the litter, clean the box out, and replace it with a new litter. That of course is expensive, and the costs can very quickly add up. For many cat owners this is required on a weekly basis.
Certainly if you have multiple cats, it will be necessary to do a weekly change. if you have more than one litter box, then you can see how quickly these costs can mount up.
In addition to that, emptying out a soaked cat litter is a very unpleasant task, as it frequently gets stuck to the sides of the box, and the bottom of the box.
Many cats prefer this type of non-clumping litter, so making the change to a clumping variety can be difficult.
Many non-clumping litters are made from clay, but you can also get more natural options of wood pellets mixed with baking soda. That is usually a cheaper option so frequent changing will become less costly.
Moisture & Humidity
If you live in a very humid part of the country, then I would advise against using a non-clumping litter. A few buyers of this litters have said that on hot summer balmy nights, the odors are particularly bad. The smell of the ammonia from the cat urine really can get pretty bad.
Almost always it is a matter of which litter your cat will use. Some will like clumping and some will like non-clumping. The bottom line is that it is very important to use the litter that they will use.
If you don’t then you run the risk of them urinating and pooping outside the box, and you certainly do not want that in your home.
You may need to experiment a little to find out which they like the best. So even though there are distinct advantages with using a clumping litter, some cats will just prefer the non-clumping variety.