CatGenie Self Flushing Cat Box Review
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, where I get a small commission if you decide to make a purchase throught my link, at no cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more details.
In this article I am going to review what the best self flushing cat litter box is on the market. Yes it really is as close as you are going to get for a proper toilet for your cat or cats. Strange as this concept may first appear, it is slowly growing in popularity for many homes in the US.
There are it has to be said, not a huge range of options available. By far the main supplier of these types of self-flushing cat boxes are the brand CatGenie. You should of course know before reading any further, that these are not a cheap option, and you can pay anything between $200-300 depending on your actual product and model selection.
Self cleaning litter boxes on the other hand are a much cheaper option because they don’t flush. Instead, they typically offer a quick and automated way of cleaning up the cat waste.
It is also worth noting that these type of litter boxes do divide buyer opinion a lot. Some cat owners swear by these, whereas others detest them. In this article I take a much closer look at what is available, and you can then decide which side of the fence you are on.
CatGenie Self Washing Self Flushing Cat Box
This particular CatGenie model is, and has been for a long time, the number one choice for anyone considering this type of self-flushing cat litter. Officially classed as a “self-flushing” cat litter box, this one flushes away any cat waste, and then washes itself clean. The benefits of that are obvious, but let’s be honest, they do come at a price.
Overall this particular self-flushing litter box gets an average 78% buyer satisfaction rating, from over 1,000 online buyers. That will tell you right away that these sell pretty well, and overall the rating is good.
This type of litter/toilet is really only suitable for either 1 or 2 cats and for those who are 6 months or older. It is not suitable for kittens.
You also need to have some method of plumbing this into a cold water supply, and also plugging it into an electrical outlet. It is worth noting that some type of cold water hook up and power supply are required for this to work.
The box then uses washable granules which are 100% dust free and also a cartridge to help sanitise the toilet.
How Does It Work?
When setting it up you connect it to a cold water line using a supplied T-adaptor. You then plug the litter into a 120V electric outlet. If using this in a bathroom, there is a drain hook, which is secured under the toilet seat to allow any waste to drain into the toilet.
If you plan on having this in your utility room, then the Genie hose can be inserted into the washing machine drain pipe.
There are three touch button settings so as you can choose which one suits your needs the best. These are:
- Set to activate when your cat has used the litter
- Manual select in that you push a button at a time of your choosing
- Preset the litter to run automatically up to 4 times per day
So when set up and your preferred setting has been picked the CatGenie works as follows:
The waste removes and liquefies the solids and disposes of these into your toilet or drain. You no longer have to deal with looking at or handling poop or clumps of litter. The box then washes, scrubs and cleans the cat litter to make sure everything is clean once again.
To finish off a dryer comes on which heats and dries the granules, leaving everything ready for the next use. Have a look at the video below for more information.
What Buyers Say About the CatGenie Self Washing Self Flushing Cat Box
I have to be honest with you and say that I am not a fan of this type of litter box. My opinion however is not that important as clearly many cat owners disagree and buy this box. My objections to this is simply that I don’t think cat waste should be put into the main sewage pipes for human health reasons.
If you want to understand that in more detail, then check out my article on should you flush cat litter by clicking here.
Now more importantly let’s see what buyers had to say about this product.
- 54% of all buyers gave this a full 5 star review
- If you hate the thought of looking at or having to handle cat poop, then this is a great option for you
- There is no need to change litter and the granules last forever
- Some buyers say this is expensive but worth every penny
- Those cat owners who may be out of the house for longer periods of time preferred this type of litter box
- 18% of all buyers gave this a bad review
- Some buyers say that cat poop in the middle of the box doesn’t get picked up by the Genie Hand and when left there makes the litter very smelly
- You still have to flush your toilet after this litter box has done its part
- Some buyers say that the granules are also too small and they get easily tracked by your cat, and some get flushed, so over time you will need to replace the granules
- The grinder device can make a terrible brown watery mess and can clog up
- Some buyers say that the holes in the bottom of the basin are also too small and are only capable of removing urine. That means some poop can not be removed by the Genie Hand and that means you have to remove them yourself, and that defies the purpose of the self-cleaning in the first place.
- The machine uses cold water and some buyers believed that cold water will not properly clean the granules
- Some buyers say the cleaning and sanatizing solution runs out quickly
- Some buyers said that you have to continue to buy the solution
- Some buyers say on the program modes that the cycles are long, loud, and use a lot of water and power.
Now you may have noticed that the cons are a lot longer than the pros or benefits of this CatGenie litter. That is unusual especially when you consider that overall buyers actually do rate this product very highly. Don’t forget that this litter box has an average buyer satisfaction rating of 78%, and that is considered a good buyer rating.
The reason for the larger amount of cons is because when you spend $200-300 on any product you expect a lot from it. Buyers then become more vociferous if the model fails to live up to every expectation.
My Verdict and Opinion on the Cat Genie Self-Flushing Litter
Personally I would not buy this one for a number of reasons. The main one is I simply prefer a top entry style litter box which is cheaper and does an excellent job. Secondly this is an expensive purchase, and for me the reality is that I could buy 5 or 6 good quality enclosed boxes for the price that one of these would cost me.
I do however understand why this would be an appealing choice for some cat owners. For anyone who doesn’t want to be anywhere near cat poop or have to bother with a smelly litter, this is a very good option. You may have to live with a few problems, but overall buyers say this works really well.
It becomes clear when reading all of the reviews, that the key to success with this one is setting it up properly from the start. If you get that right then this seems to work really well.