This is my top 6 list of the best cat litter crystals in 2022.
In these reviews, I’ll share everything you need to know, including:
- What makes them good (and not so good)
- My favorite pick
- A buyers guide
- And lots more
So if you’re thinking about using crystal litter, this list will help you with your decision.
Let’s dive right in.
6 Best Crystal Cat Litter at a Glance
Table of Contents
- 6 Best Crystal Cat Litter at a Glance
- 1. PetSafe ScoopFree Premium Crystal Non Clumping Cat Litter – Best Cat Litter Crystals for Most People
- 2. Litter Pearls Micro Crystals Cat Litter – Big Bag Lasts 3 Months
- 3. UltraPet Ultra Pearls Silica Cat Litter – Great for Single Cats
- 4. Ultra Pet Clumping Crystal Cat Litter – Clumping Crystal Litter
- 5. Just the Crystals Premium Crystal Cat Litter
- 6. Fresh Step Premium Crystals Clumping Cat Litter – An All Time Favorite
- How to Choose the Best Silica Cat Litter
- Disadvantages of Silica Gel Crystal Litters
1. PetSafe ScoopFree Premium Crystal Non Clumping Cat Litter – Best Cat Litter Crystals for Most People
PetSafe ScoopFree Premium Crystal litter is one of the best non-clumping cat litters on the market with excelent odor control and liquid waste absorption.
It dries solid waste too which eliminates cat poop odor to keep your home smelling clean and fresh.
These cat litter crystals are best used with the PetSafe ScoopFree Automatic Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box, but can be used with any cat litter box.
This litter works by absorbing liquid waste so well that to keep the litter fresh, you stir the litter around after use and your cat will continue to use it for upto 30 days.
You will need to remove solid waste though as this will become unhygenic after a while.
There is three types to choose from too, original, sensitive, and lavender. Original is blue and slightly scented, sensitive is free of perfumes and dyes which is suitable for sensitive cats, and lavender is purple with a lavender scent, which some cats may find soothing.
You get 2 packs weighing 4.4 lb each and it’s good value for money. Like other crystal litters, this one is almost completely dust free and good at preventing tracking.
One disadvantage with the lavender version of this litter is that some customers have complained that it dyes the paws of their white cat purple. This might have been an issue in the past and potentially resolved now, but this is something you should keep an eye out for when you do purchase this litter.
- COMPATIBLE LITTER BOXES: Works with any traditional litter box and the PetSafe ScoopFree Reusable Litter Tray
- CONVENIENT PORTIONS: Includes 2 pre-portioned bags of premium PetSafe crystal litter with original scent, ready for use (each bag weighs 2.0 kg)
- UNBEATABLE ODOR CONTROL: Absorbs urine and dries solid waste for 5x better odor control than clumping clay litters
- LESS MESS: Premium PetSafe Crystal Litter is low-tracking and 99% dust-free
2. Litter Pearls Micro Crystals Cat Litter – Big Bag Lasts 3 Months
This bag of litter crystals will last you up to 3 months for one cat. It uses premium micro crystals which are designed to absorb liquid waste so finely that it mixes in with the rest of the litter and completely covers up any odors.
One of the benefits of using non-clumping micro crystals is that it saves you a lot of time from having to scoop out clumps of urine all the time. Instead, all that’s needed it for you to mix any unrine with the rest once per day.
It also dries our solids very fast which helps prevent stinky odors, but it is still advised to scoop poop out as soon as possible.
Litter Pearls Micro Crystals has a very low dust level and great at preventing tracking. Because of the tiny crystals, it’s very soft on cat’s paws so your cat should find it comfortable to use.
To get the best results, fill your litter box with two inches, scoop out solid waste daily, and stir the rest to get any liquid waste to become fully absorbed. Then you’ll want to completely empty after one month of use, clean out the litter box and refill with fresh litter.
Because this is such a big bag, it should last you quite a long time. The manufacturer averages around three months.
- A Refreshing Litter Experience - Micro Crystals fragrance-free litter has superior odor control and is super soft on cats' paws for maximum comfort
- ODORBOND 30 Day Odor Control - neutralizes ammonia odors on contact, in single and multiple cat settings, for powerful odor control
- Safe, for Pets and People - non-toxic Silica Gel crystals are safe for pets and people, and unscented crystals are great for sensitive cats
- 99.9% Dust-Free - Litter Pearls Silica Gel crystals undergo dust removal during the manufacturing process, to keep your air and surfaces cleaner
- Ultra Absorbent - non-clumping Litter Pearls crystals have mini-channels that absorb liquid and dry solid waste, to make scooping easy and keep your litter box smelling clean
3. UltraPet Ultra Pearls Silica Cat Litter – Great for Single Cats
Ultra Pet Cat Litter Pearls is one bag of silica crystals designed for one cat that will last for one month.
It dries solid waste and absorbs cat urine very efficiently providing excellent odor control and making it easy for you to scoop out.
A poop and urine free litter is best for both your cat and the household environment so you want a crystal litter that makes it as easy as possible to clear up everyday and Ultra Pet does a great job at this.
This is a 5lbs bag which should last one cat for an entire month. It’s unscented which means it won’t put your cat off from using it if they are not used to fragrented litter.
Because of the way crystal litter acts, it is 99.9% dust free. It’s also has very low tracking so your cat won’t traipse it around your home.
It’s ideal for cats with sensitive paws or who are prone to allergies. It can be used for all cats and kittens.
- Elimates Odors - Maximum Odor Control
- Soft on Cat's Paws
- Absorptive surface with 1000's of mini-channels for liquid waste absorption
- Dries solid waste for odor control
- Very Low Dust
4. Ultra Pet Clumping Crystal Cat Litter – Clumping Crystal Litter
Ultra Pet Clumping Crystal Cat Litter is an excelent option if you’re looking for a clumping litter.
The natural clumping agent enables you to scoop out clumps of urine only twice a week, saving you time from stiring or scooping daily.
It’s highly absorbing and complete 100% dust free. Most people like this litter because it provides the best of both worlds. The sand like texture means it will dry our solid waste quickly and remove odors so you can enjoy a fresh home and little maintenance.
You get very little tracking but you may want to pair this litter with a litter mat to be on the safe side.
This is a 5 pound bag and should last one month for one cat.
The only downside to this litter is that it might stick to the sides of the litter box but you could remedy this by using cat litter liners. This will prevent it from sticking and make it super easy to clean up once per month by disposing the entire bag.
- Clumping Micro Crystals - fragrance-free, clumping cat litter forms sturdy clumps that control the most pungent odors and makes scooping easy by trapping urine on contact and quickly drying solid waste
- Low Dust Litter - dust removal is an important part of the Ultra Pearls production process, so your litter box and room stay dust-free and clean
- Gentleness Assured - Silica Gel crystals are non-toxic and safe for pets and people, and unscented crystals are great for sensitive cats
- Super Soft on Paws - Silica Gel micro crystals provide maximum comfort on cats' paws and powerful clumping for easy scooping and a refreshing litter experience
- Litter Stays Fresher, great in single and multiple cat settings
Just the Crystals comes in two bags at 4.4 lbs, totally 8.8 pounds in weight. This should last you up to one month per cat.
You can use this litter for any type of litter box which makes it really convenient and easy to use.
This is an unscented litter which many cats prefer over scented litters. It is also 99% dust free so it makes less mess when pouring into the litter box and provides minimal tracking.
The manufacturer claims these have the highest rated absorbency of any crystal litter on the market. That is a bold claim, but many customers praise it for the absorption rate.
They don’t use any fragrances to cover odors. People say that these were better than having a chemical “masking” fragrance in their home.
6. Fresh Step Premium Crystals Clumping Cat Litter – An All Time Favorite
Premium Crystals by Fresh Step absorb 5x more moisture than clay cat litter and because these crystals are small, they create very minimal dust, if any.
Because of the quality in absorption, it will lock in odors much faster.
This is a clumping cat litter which makes it super easy to scoop out your cats pee and poop as and when they do their business. This is what makes clumping litter so good because it doesnt effect the remaining litter in the tray, so the litter will last a long time.
It’s lightweight and easy to remove soiled litter with a good litter scoop. Fresh Step recommend filling the litter box with at least 1.5 inches of this crystal litter. This gives your cat enough to cover things up.
Premium Crystals should be changed once a month if you have one cat and little more often if you have more than one, 10 to 15 days would be ideal.
Overall, this is a premium quality silica gel litter that many customers swear by.
- CRYSTAL CAT LITTER: Litter box maintenance made easier with odor locking litter crystals that absorb moisture
- ODOR CONTROL CAT LITTER: These Fresh Step Crystals have 30 Days of Odor Control Guaranteed. Our longest lasting odor control (vs. other Fresh Step litter)
- ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT: 8lb bag of Crystals is the same number of uses as a 28lb bag of clumping cat litter
- LOW DUST LITTER: For cleaner surfaces and clearer air, we developed a low dust formula
- FRESH STEP CAT LITTER: Fight litter box odors with scented Fresh Step Crystals that’s created with your cats health and happiness in mind
How to Choose the Best Silica Cat Litter
With so many different types of cat litter on the market, why would any cat owner consider buying one that is made from crystals of silica gel? It is a very good question, and the reality is that more and more owners are buying these, rather than the standard clay based litters.
There are a lot of very good reasons to consider making the switch, and I have listed both the advantages and disadvantages down below.
Easy of Use
There is no doubt that silica gel cat litter is the easiest of all the cat litters to use. In essence all you need to do is remove the poop once or twice a day, and give the litter a stir. That is all there is to it until you need to do a full change out of the litter.
Now the time between changes depending on the brand that you buy and also on the number of cats that you have. All of them last much longer than other litter types, so less cleaning up to do.
Cleaner to Use and Low on Dust
In principle, these are sold as they are a lot cleaner to use than many of the clay or natural style of cat litters available on the market place. Over the years I have used many types of litter. I have yet to find one that is 100% dust free.
The one thing that I can tell you is that any silica gel will be less dusty than any clay litter.
Lighter to Handle
These lightly made up crystals are a great deal lighter than either a clay litter, or all of the natural or biodegradable litters. That in itself does not sound that important.
However, if you have ever carried around a heavy bag of litter, then by changing to crystals, you will never have that problem again.
Likewise when it comes to scooping these are a lot easier to mix. It is also considerably easier to fill and empty a litter box.
Excellent at Strong Odor Control
Most of these small crystals can absorb up to 15 times their own weight. Not only do they absorb well, but they also capture any germs and bacteria, and lock those inside the tiny spores on each individual crystal.
Better for the Environment
Now all of these crystal litters still have to go into your main waste. However as they are smaller and lighter a lot less will end up in land fill sites, simply as they are much smaller, but last longer than many of the clay or biodegradable litters.
There is 70% less landfill required with these types of litters.
Disadvantages of Silica Gel Crystal Litters
Like most products this litter type also has some disadvantages, and I like to include all the information on my reviews. That way you can make your own mind up, which type is best suited to your own individual circumstances.
Expensive to Buy
When you compare these dollar for dollar against weight, these crystals are about 3 times more expensive than the cheapest cat litter. That may initially put you off buying them, but there are many benefits for buying crystal cat litter.
For starters, they last much longer, up to 2-3 times, which means you won’t have to buy them as often as other types.
Here are the recommend litter cleaning frequency for each type:
- Non-clumping: weekly
- Clumping: every 2-3 weeks
- Natural or Biodegradable: 2-3 weeks
- Gel crystals: 4-6 weeks
So if you strictly follow the recommended litter cleaning frequency, a large bag of crystal cat litter should last a couple of months for one cat.
Can Be Messy even Unhygienic
These are really not suitable for an open litter, as if your cat is a digger and moves its cat litter around, these will end up all over the floor. These are circular ball type of crystals and they will go everywhere, so can be quite messy.
Any spills can be hard to clean up, given the nature and size of these smaller crystals.
There is an argument that when a cat poops on these crystals, that when the poop is removed, some may remain on the crystals. Mixing that in is clearly not a good idea, but some people do that. It is a good idea to scoop out some of the crystals around the area where your cat has pooped.
Only Suitable for Some Automatic Litter Boxes
If you have a self-cleaning litter box, you will need to check that it’s suitable for silica crystal litters as some of these types of litter boxes require natural clumping or clay cluping cat litters.
This concludes my reviews of the best cat litter crystals.
There are a wide range to choose from and they are all generally good. I would highly recommend trying the PetSafe ScoopFree Premium Crystal Litter first though and see how you get on.
If you would prefer a clumping crystal litter, then I would suggest going with the Ultra Pet Clumping Crystal Cat Litter.
Let me know in the comments which crystal litter you have used and I could add it to the list in the future.