Cat litter box liners are designed to make it easier to clean out your cat’s litter box.
But are they any good and should you use them?
In this article, I’ll share important things to consider, including:
- Why use them?
- The 4 best litter box liners
- Pros and cons of litter box liners
Let’s dive right in.
Table of Contents
- Why Use Cat litter Box Liners?
- How to Use a Cat Box Liner
- 4 Best Litter Box Liners You Can Try
- The Pros of Using Cat Litter Box Liners
- The Cons of Litter Box Liners
Why Use Cat litter Box Liners?
A litter box liner are ideal when using non-clumping cat litter. With clumping litter, a litter box liner may be useful but not entirely necessary.
When your furry pet uses his or her kitty litter and it’s time to clean out the litter box , you take out the bag and dispose of the whole thing.
Because the box liner keeps the bottom of the box dry, it requires less time to cleaning the litter pan and prevents soiled litter sticking to the bottom and the sides of the litter pan.
Most cat litter box liners have a drawstring which can be tied for easy disposal. However, some liners won’t have these and you’ll have to tie a knot with the excess edges of the plastic.
The box might need a bit of a clean if any urine has seeped through, but there will be less work involved.
You will of course need to properly clean and dry out the litter pan, usually once per month, but the litter liner will have made the whole process easier.
How to Use a Cat Box Liner
To use a cat litter box liner, open the plastic bag and place it inside your litter pan. Most liners will fit your litter box, just check the size before you buy.
Fold any excess plastic around the edges of the litter box so that it sits neatly inside and doesn’t get in the way when your cat needs to go.
Then pour your cat’s litter on top of the plastic liner until it fills the bottom of the cat pan. Anything between 1-3 inches of litter is fine, depending on your cats preference.
Here’s a video to show you exactly how it’s done:
4 Best Litter Box Liners You Can Try
Here are 4 of the best cat litter box liners on the market today.
These are one of the most popular choices when it comes to litter liners.
These are large heady duty liners measuring 36 inches by 18 inches and 2 mil thick and tear resistent which will help them last longer.
They come in a box of 5 and this is a pack of 6 boxes so you get a total of 30. Advertisements
These also have a drawstring, so it’ll be easy to tie them up once you’re ready to clean it out.
The Alfapet Kitty Cat liners have a cool feature that uses an elastic band around the top instead of a draw string.
This is to help secure the cat litter liner around the outside of your litter box.
This is another 30 pack but are slightly smaller than the others at 37 inches by 18 inches and 1.5 mil in thickness.
These cat litter liners are by Kitty Kitty and come in a box of 30 with drawstring feature for easy and convenient clean up.
Measuring 36 inches by 18 inches which will fit most litter boxes. Advertisements
They are also heady duty and leak proof which will prevent any nasty leaks.
These litter box liners are a bit different to the others because they are sifting. That means that the good litter can be sifted through holes in the bottom and reused so you don’t waste as much litter.
This will save you having to wait until the entire litter is unusable before disposing the bag, or having to scoop out any waste.
In principle it works but it might take a bit of trial and error to make the most of these types of liners.
These Alfapet Sifting Litter Box Liners are huge, measuring at 40 inches by 38 inches so you could try these if you have a bigger litter box. They come in a pack of 10 x 3 boxes.
You also get an elastic band to tie around the litter box to keep them in place.
They way they work is by putting them all in the tray at the same time and then when the litter is ready to be removed, you just lift up one bag that’s on the top, shift the dry litter through and then add more clean litter to the pan. Advertisements
The Pros of Using Cat Litter Box Liners
- They are easy to use – As you saw in the video, it’s really straight forward to use them.
- Saves you time when cleaning – If you hate cleaning the cat litter, it can save you a lot of time, especially if you’ve got multiple cats.
- Relatively inexpensive – Each bag should last several days and you can buy liners in packs of 20+ and the more you buy the cheaper they are.
The Cons of Litter Box Liners
- They can rip and tear – this very much depends on the quality of the liner and also on the strength of the seams.
- Difficult to find the right fit – Unless the manufacturer makes a bag specifically for the litter box, finding a good fit can be just a matter of trial and error.
- Air pockets – When you are placing the liner into the box, air pockets can easily be created. It does take patience to fit a liner, then pour the litter in.
- Coming away from the sides – Some cats will manage to dislodge the liner especially around the top and at the sides.
Cat litter box liners can be a very hygienic way for looking after your litter box.
You can also save a lot of time, as you can just throw the litter liner away after 1-2 weeks of changing the litter.